Google

Friday, November 16, 2007

Deepavali(Festival Of Lights) Celebrations

Last weekend we had Deepavali (Festival Of Lights). It is one of the most awaited festivals for all the Indians. It is eagerly awaited by all, young or old or of any religion. Mostly because of all the crackers that you get to burst!

This was my first Deepavali here. I had assumed that it would be a lack luster affair since we were in a foreign land. I was in for a pleasant surprise. One day before the festival, I got a call from one of my friend’s to come to her house for Arishina and Kumkuma (It is a custom among South Indians to invite people to their houses during festivals and religious ceremonies and then give them beetle leaves, Kumkuma, Arishina (turmeric) to the ladies before they leave). It was a surprise for me since I had not expected this here.

On the 2nd day of Deepavali, we went to her apartment. This apartment complex has a lot of Indians. We see that all the houses have been decorated with serial lights and there were Diya’s (Clay Lamps) in the doorsteps of most of the houses. It really was a very festive atmosphere with all the children and adults dressed up in traditional Indian clothes and generally having a good time. They were also bursting crackers (non-bomb varieties like sparklers)! We also went to a few others friend’s houses.

On the Bali Padyami day, (Third Day) we had invited a few friends over to our house. We had a small get together, lit a few candles and generally had a good time with friends :).

This was a really different way of celebrating Deepavali for me. The grandeur of the festival back in India is a different plane of existence! We used to have so many varieties of food to eat, so many crackers to burst, and the new clothes that you would get to show off. How can I forget the constant reminders from elders to be careful while bursting the crackers!!

We missed all this fun and noise this time!! :((

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

apparently the blog did not last that long, huh?

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Blogarama